Thursday, February 01, 2007

*big sigh of relief*

Now that everything has somewhat settled down, I can actually post about what's been going on.

D and I have moved from the house we were living in to the guesthouse on his parent's property in South Knoxville (which I think is one of the second biggest pieces of land in this area). We started this move almost two weeks ago and have been going at it every day, starting at around 7am and ending after dark. The last few days (not including yesterday when we got up at 6am) we've been going to bed around 9:30pm and sleeping 10-11 hours.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't get as many injuries as I expected, especially considering the uber heavy desks we had to move, plat file cabinets that are probably around 300 lbs., and a 600 lb. gun safe. I kinda torqued my ankle about 3 days into the move and it was pretty sore up until a couple days ago, but it's all good now (knock on wood).

So, here's a list of my injuries...
1. Semi-twisted ankle

2. Small chunk gouged out of my index finger, right hand (from the gun safe)

3. Small slice on the index finger of my left hand (no idea how that happened)

4. Inch long burn on the back of my right hand, base of my thumb (not technically from moving, but was sleepy-eyed making toast two days into the move and burned my hand on the toaster oven

5. Bruises on various parts of my body including arms, shins, thighs, knees, and yes...hips. The number of said bruises is 17...and counting considering we still have to unload D's truck and Papaw's truck so I'm sure I'll grab a few more bruises.

But...we're officially done moving. The only reason we have to go back to that house is to get the mail and pick up our trashcans since this morning is trash day. It feels so incredibly good to finally be done.

Now, the thing is that, since we've spent almost the whole of the last two weeks moving, D hasn't been able to do any work so we've got a couple projects backed up...and... We’re supposed to get about 4 inches of snow today. I'm a bit skeptical, but that's another subject altogether.

We also both need to get regular jobs and, since D's silent partner works for UPS, it's a pretty fair bet he'd be able to get me, if not both of us in there.

As far as the snow, they were predicting a 60% chance of snow, even though it was sunny, clear skies, and about 37 degrees out for most of the day yesterday. But apparently the snow didn’t start coming down until about 5am this morning. Right now it’s just light flurries and the only accumulation I can see is about an inch of snow on the deck here. Weirdly enough, the last bad snow storm they had here was back in ’93 and the whole day it was sunny and about 70 degrees out, but then they got like a foot and a half of snow overnight. Another odd thing that happened yesterday evening that made D think for sure that we’d be getting a bit of snow was the weird way the birds were acting. When we got back from bringing our last load in from the house, we were standing out on the deck and back near the edge of the property were about 7 robins rooting around in the leaves. D said that it was because they sensed that the ground would be frozen and covered in snow and were scavenging for food before that happened. It was really weird, and kinda creepy how many there were out there.

Well, I think that’s gonna be all for now. I’m a little sleepy so I need to start hittin’ the coffee because, even though we’re all moved out, we’re not entirely moved in. We’ve got lots of unpacking to do and transferring stuff out of the trucks and into the downstairs of the guest house and out to the barn.

No comments: