Friday, January 13, 2006

In the presence of royalty

Well not really, but close. I was out at Michaels craft store with my mom yesterday. She and I have got it into our heads that we're going to make and sell hemp jewelry. I've been making it for years and finally got my mom hooked on it. Her church has a craft fair type deal every year so that's what we're looking at. Hey, who knows, if I can make enough money and get enough orders, I may never have to work again. Mwa ha ha ha. Take that corporate america!

Um...where was I? Oh yes, royalty at Michaels. Mom and I had just checked out and were standing at the door so she could put her coat on or something and I just then noticed the woman who'd been behind me in line. None other than a woman named Kathy Darling. Her husband Mark is pastor of the church I used to go to. You know how married people tend to resemble each other after a while? Well, it's the same with them. Their hair is kinda cut the same (except Kathy's isn't all that spiky) and I swear she was wearing the same coat Mark wears.

Anyway, after she paid for her purchases, just to be sure, I asked if she was Kathy Darling. She responded in the affirmative and I introduced myself and said I go to the Rock. I then introduced my mom to her. After that, we both got a "now what?" look on our face. We kind of awkwardly said goodbye and as she left I asked her to say hi to Mark for me.

I know pastors and their wives/family are just as human as the rest of us, but still. I felt awkward and socially inept when speaking to her. My palms were sweaty and it felt like I had little creatures trying to erupt from my stomach. Also, it seemed that my tongue had swollen to three times its normal size so that I was unable to form words correctly.

She also deigned to shake my right hand. I don't think I'll ever wash it. I actually will because otherwise it would be quite unsanitary, but you get my drift.

1 comment:

mrs. r said...

ok, here's a real comment for you!
Um, hi, where have you been? I know, I know, working out of town, how long does that gig last? Just checkin' in cuz I miss you or somethin'...