Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nostalgia

In listening to music on Youtube.com (great site by the way), I recalled one of the best memories of my life.

My dad and I were at Mall of America. I don't remember if we went to Radio Shack (don't remember how old I was) before or after, but I do remember stopping at an icecream shop. It was one that had an old-fashioned juke box. Now don't get me wrong, I love The Beatles, but I asked my dad for a quarter (or whatever it cost) to play a song on the jukebox. I played "Chain Gang" by Sam Cooke.

D and I were playing "oldies" songs on youtube.com and I found Chain Gang. It almost made me cry with the rememberance. While those times were quite a bit difficult for me, I do appreciate the influence I've gotten from my father, music-wise.

So...thank you dad. My music tastes have changed over the years, but I'll always remember what I heard as a little kid and still, to this day, like what I heard back then.

I love the "oldies"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good music is eternal and has the ability to transcend all age barriers.

Excerpt from “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective” by Erik Greene
www.OurUncleSam.com

MasterQ said...

Maybe one of the few things Dad gave us, a love of music outside our generation. Not many people our age appreciate the 'oldies'.