Thursday, July 24, 2008

Long week...not over

A little background....

So remember when I posted about getting that job? Well, I showed up as a back-up for the training class on the 7th (didn't get in), but turned in my two-week notice since I was told I'd be in the class on the 21st instead. I was called around the 14th by the temp. agency and told that Elavon, the company, had decided not to use temp. agency people and instead were using direct hires. So sorry...can't be helped...sorry you're out of a job now. I fumed for a bit, but started looking for something else.

Well, not too long after, I had such bad back pain that I was pretty much bed-ridden for most of the rest of that week. Major suck!

But, I got a call again from the temp. agency around the 18th that they wanted me to show up as a back-up again. I didn't think much of it, but told 'em I'd be there.

Well, on the 21st, the temp. agency called to confirm that I'd be there that afternoon, but they weren't sure exactly of the time and would call me once they knew. About ten minutes later I got a call asking me to choose between two shifts. I got in!!

So that's where I've been all week. I went in from about noon-thirty until 5 on monday and it's been an 8-5 shift since then.

Right now, it's just classroom work...learning different systems and such. I honestly feel like my brain is about an inch from oozing out of my ears. I was a bit nervous at first and still feel a tad bit overwhelmed, but it's all good. It's like I'm back in school again, but getting paid for it.

D and I did some calculating and realized that in about 4 months of working there, I'll have made as much as if I'd worked a year at Lowe's. Pretty nifty, huh?

So, my first full-time work week is almost over. Cool thing is, we have casual fridays so I get to wear my Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt, jean capris, and tennis shoes tomorrow. I've spent the majority of the week in skirts or nice slacks. The slacks I don't mind so much, but while I'm getting used to sitting in a skirt, it's getting fairly old. I definitely look forward to changing clothes when I get home. Tomorrow is our first test day, though. I'm not really nervous about it. I've been fairly good at taking tests and when we do our daily reviews there are only a couple questions I'm hazy on. Cool thing is, it's open book/notes/computer programs.

So, next week is also classroom, 8-5 and then, while the 3rd week we'll be in classroom, we'll pretty much all be switching around shifts and actually taking some incoming calls from merchants. I'll be working 8-4:30 then with wed/thur off. And, while I'm not too thrilled about working both Sat. and Sun., at least the weekend shift is also casual wear so it'll be a little bonus.

I'm also getting to sleep in about a half-hour more than when I worked at Lowe's and it's a lot more fun. I think I get an average of about 10 people a day (that I don't know) saying hi/good morning to me. Also, since I'm technically employed there through a temp. agency, I'm not eligible for benefits yet, but I only have to work 400 hours (10 weeks) to be employed full-time by Elavon directly, which is less than the normal 90 days I've waited for benefits other places.

All in all, I'm pretty psyched about it. It's the first full-time job I've had in about 3 years. Plus, with my first paycheck I get to go shopping for new clothes. Granted, it'll be yuppy corporate america clothes (no offense to those of you corporate america types), but still, new clothes are always fun. :-)

Peace out and I'll let y'all know how the test goes tomorrow.

No comments: