Thursday, February 21, 2008

Expanding horizons

Okay so maybe that's a little dramatic, but I couldn't think of anything better for a subject line.

One really awesome thing about D and I is that occasionally we'll get into a particular mood and will end up spending hours just listening to different music. That's how I learned to really like Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, (I already liked The Eagles, but hadn't heard much of them), and Tool (among various other artists).

So anyway, a couple nights ago, D and I had another music session. Mainly it was Metallica and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'd already heard Metallica a bit and own the Garage Inc. 2 disc set, but I didn't realize just how much I'd missed out on. Mainly, Metallica's Black album. Holy... Did you know they sold around 22 million copies of that cd?

D found a lyrics site online so we were able to read the lyrics as the cd played and oh my word. No wonder parents thought they were a bad influence. *grins* Lars has kickass guitar solos by the way. :-)

So I've found a new appreciation and liking for Metallica's music. Last night I listened to Master of Puppets by them while playing battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. Muy Bueno! Oh so much fun. By the way, Metallica ended up doing a concert using the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. Oh. My. God. It's so...just wow. I'm planning on either getting the dvd or the cd for D's birthday. He used to have the dvd, but it got borrowed and never returned. :-(

Oh, and I grew up knowing about the whole deal of people holding up lighters at concerts, but never understood why or what started it. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird. Very, very good song. Incredible group. Junkie is a pretty interesting song, too and I like Tuesday's Gone.

Anyway, so I'm slowly but surely expanding my musical tastes. It's quite the experience.

In other news, something I forgot to mention back when it started. It's probably been close to a month ago now. D and I got invited over to his friend's (Taylor) house. Taylor and D used to work together and still keep closely in touch with each other. Anyway, D and Taylor also like to brew beer. D and I had done it once back in like August of last year, but haven't really had the means to do it since. Taylor is a brewing fiend so he had a ton of stuff to play around with.

So, D and I went over there and helped with the brewing while Taylor made us and his family homemade pizza (right down to homemade dough). Every time D and I would step outside for a minute and come back in, the house would be filled with the nutty, chocolatey smell of the beer we were making. And, hopefully tonight is when we'll be going over there to bottle it up. Unfortunately I think it's still gotta sit in the bottles for another week or so before it'll be good to drink. And, if I remember correctly, we'll be getting about 80 20oz bottles of the stuff (that's only about 1/3 of what we made). I'm soooooo excited!

We were supposed to go over there last Sunday, but D and I were right in the middle of our icky sicky time and so were Taylor and his kids. Oh well, what can ya do?

I'll let y'all know how the beer tastes. :-)

Ciao

2 comments:

MasterQ said...

btw, why do people hold up lighters at concerts?

Dreamer said...

I guess it's a way to pay silent tribute to a really, really awesome group. It just started with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird song.