Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hot

It's not even April yet and it's already 80 degrees here. And I don't think this is even considered summer. I think the hottest months here are June through August. *sigh*


In other news, Lowe's almost lost them an employee today. I was so very tempted to just walk out. My shift was supposed to be 7am to noon. I went out to Lawn and Garden around 11am to help them out there cuz they were getting really backed up with people and there was only one cashier out there. After the crowd died down, the other person left for lunch (unbeknownst to me) and I was left to handle things. Well, it got busy again about a half hour after she left (so much so that I had about 10 people waiting to check out) so I called the supervisor to get someone else sent out to help. Well, they didn't have anyone to spare since it was busy in there, too. Finally one of the managers came out to help, but even when the other girl came back from lunch, we still had about 15 people each to ring up. This was about 12:30 and it was about that time that I seriously considered just leaving. Not only that, but we didn't have but one person loading things for people and, when I'd try to page for a loader or more assistance at the register, my phone wouldn't connect to the P.A. system.

Someone finally came out to relieve me at about 1:30. Boy was I pissed. Not only was I not scheduled to work that late (although I understand now that they really needed me to stay a little longer), but D had come to pick me up at noon and I didn't get a chance to call him until about 1:00. I told him that he should probably just go back home since I didn't know what time I'd be leaving and he'd already been sitting in the parking lot for an hour. Technically we're not supposed to make personal calls on register phones, particularly when we're working, but I was in a serious "f*** 'em" mindset at that point.

In hindsight I'm still a little irritated, but not quite so mad about it. I mean, it happens all the time at other retail stores I'm sure and they probably didn't expect to be quite that busy or they would've had more people scheduled to work.

But, the good news is that I have three days off until I have to work again...and it's a night shift so technically that's 3 1/2 days.

Much goofing off will be had. :-) Wheeee!!!

1 comment:

MasterQ said...

Bravo! Masterfully handeled!

Seriously though, considering the circs you were very professional. You could've cussed out the manager, or that girl who didn't tell you she went on break. You've come a long way since that job at Super America.

So walk tall! Be proud! And enjoy your time off. Wheeee, indeed. ;)