Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ugh

So I had my first official workday at my new job. I got hired at Arby's. God is really teaching me humility through this. No offense to anyone who works fast food. I used to swear to myself that I'd never work in fast food. Well, I do. After I had my shirt tucked in and my little visor on, I looked at myself in the mirror and realized..."I look like a dork". Again, no offense to anyone who works fast food because I'm beginning to realize how difficult it is.

I got to work at 8:00am and, after the manager got there he realized he'd made a mistake and that I really didn't have to be there until 9. Alright, no big deal, I can handle that. After wiping down table and mopping, I started training on working the front counter. Only like five people came in between 9:15 or so and 11:15 when the lunch rush came in. My point is, I had the front counter machine explained to me, got to watch on a couple customers, and do it with supervision a couple times, but I was dead meat when the lunch rush came in. I was helping put together some drive thru orders and my manager asked if I knew how to do the counter. I said I had the gist of it, but when a customer came in and I had a question, he basically pushed me aside to do it himself because I wasn't fast enough. Then he politely told me I could go home for the day. And to call him tomorrow at 8am. I overheard him saying something about "what was she doing for the last hour she's been here?"

I'm trying not to take it to heart and chock it up to he was stressed with all the customers coming in and everything, but gimme a break. It was my first day and we'd only had about 5 customers before the rush started.

It wouldn't have affected me so much if I wasn't already nervous about it being my first day, learning tons of new stuff, interacting with people (not really my strongest trait right now), etc. Thankfully, I didn't start crying in front of the guy.

A couple hours after I got home I called a friend of mine. It was already understood that I'd call him so it wasn't like a "I'm upset and you need to comfort me" kinda call. He and I chatted about a few things and made sure the other was staying out of trouble. When he asked me what awesome, cool things have happened today, I made a kind of houghing sound and he says, "You don't need to sound so depressed". So, I explained the basics of what happened this morning. Thankfully, he's worked at Arby's so I got kind of a pep talk from him and he advised me that, instead of calling tomorrow, I should go in. He said I should beat the guy to the punch and ask him how I can do better and learn faster. I'm kinda reluctant to do anything than what my manager said do, but I trust this friend and it might score me some brownie points that I really do want to learn this stuff.

Ugh! I'm still a little frustrated and on edge so I'm gonna go read my bible and pray.

dreamer

No comments: