Friday, August 21, 2009

NaNoWriMo is feasting on my soul

Okay, well that might be a little too dramatic, but it's taking up a lot of my focus at present.

So, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It doesn't start until midnight of November 1st and it ends at 11:59 pm on November 30th, but I'm quite occupied with character outlines, story outlines, plot ideas, etc. I've even gotten this nifty Web Badge to post here.







The point of NaNo is to write at least 50,000 words in thirty days. It's not really a contest per se, no prizes or anything, though I think if you complete the 50,000 word requirement you get a nifty pdf certificate. People mainly do it for fun, for the challenge, and some already published writers do it to spark creativity for a new book.

I think I have a pretty good idea of the main plot of the story, but the little things are driving me to the beginnings of insanity. Thankfully I still have a little over two months to finalize outlines and think up more mini plots, characters, events, blah blah blah. I'm already ping ponging back and forth between extreme excitement and "what the crap did I get myself into?"

D is being quite the good sport about it all; even going so far as to give me a few fresh ideas that I can use. We've also been doing a sort of exercise for each other (D is a really good writer, too). We take four basic perameters (Object, Environment, Character, and Mood) and then spend half an hour to an hour writing a story. Mainly it's just something to get the creative juices flowing.


The first time I wrote a story from a kitty's perspective on moving to a new house. I haven't done any real editing on it, but it's about 1,500 words from beginning to end.

So, yeah. Pretty much my whole thought process for the next couple of months is going to be centered around writing and what I might be able to cram into this story idea of mine.


As far as the job thing goes...still haven't heard anything from either Walmart or Food City. I think D and I are headed out on a job in about a week or so and we've gotten a lead on another potential job. We've worked for the guy before and he's a total jerk, but we need the work.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Is it November yet?

No comments: