Monday, August 17, 2009

Morning wake-up post

So far I've been awake for about an hour and a half and had three cups of coffee, but I still feel like if I crawled back into bed I'd be asleep within minutes. I did wake up a few times during the night, but was able to get back to sleep fairly quick...still woke up not feeling very rested.

Thankfully my back was less sore this morning than I anticipated. Yesterday D and I went out on a rather intense job, in the woods, where I had to tote around nearly 40 lbs. of weight for an hour in 90 degree heat. I was carrying a machete (strapped on my belt), and a bag that had 6 wooden stakes, 6 2 ft. pieces of rebar, and a 4 lb. hammer (to drive the rebar into the ground). So, while my lower back wasn't nearly as hurty this morning, my shoulders and upper back are a little tight.

On a up-side, I got to actually use the machete yesterday. The way D does his work, he needs clear line of sight between where he stands and where his instrument is set up so that means if there are branches and things in the way, they need to be cut down. D is definitely much more experienced at machete work so he did most of it, but I got to do a little. Let me just say that birch trees are one of the hardest to cut. By the time I got four branches cut that were about as thick around and two thumbs, he'd already finished the rest of the line. It was still fun, though. The only other times I've gotten to use the machete were to clear a short line where there were a few thin branches and really tall weeds and then to clear some branches and bushes out around a property corner.

In other news, the job situation is still unchanged. I had applied at a zoo near here, Food City, and Walmart. The zoo didn't have any openings that I was qualified for unfortunately. I would've really liked to work there. Walmart said they might have some openings later this month and when I called Food City to check on my application, the store manager was on vacation, but the lady I talked to was assistant store manager I guess and said when he got back she'd talk to him about any openings and they'd call me if there was something. So I'll hopefully hear from them sometime this week. *fingers crossed*

I'm really hoping things are gonna start cooling off here weather-wise. Granted it's only been hitting in the high 80s to low 90s so far, but it's been crazy humid. I'll be surprised if we don't break 100 degrees by the end of the month.

Once D and I get done with another job coming up in a few days, we'll probably end up taking the truck up the ridge at the back of his dad's property to get started on cutting wood for this winter to use in the wood-burning stove downstairs. It'll save a lot more money on the energy bill if we use it. I'd like it to be a little cooler when we do it, but the sooner it gets done the better.

Well, time to check on laundry.

Ciao

No comments: