Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Has it really only been two months?

I've started calling the little critter "Bucket" for whatever reason. Y'know, like bucket 'o' cute...bucket 'o' love...bucket 'o' chub, etc. It just stuck.

So, Bucket is now two months old. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but it seems like it's been a whole helluva lot longer. Unfortunately, Bucket is going through a phase of sleeping most of the day and being awake most of the night. From about 3am until 7 or 8am she's quite bright eyed and bushy tailed. It could always be worse, though. At least for the most part she's in a good mood and rarely does anything beyond mild fussing.

She's been grabbing at things for a while now, although she's still quite uncoordinated. She's also babbling up a storm. It's fun talking to her and she tries so hard to answer back...I swear she understands what's being said to her and that she's supposed to respond. No laughing as of yet, but I have a feeling we're getting close. I tell you, the best feeling in the world is when she lays eyes on either D or I and gives us her wide, gummy grin. :-))

There was a while, th0ugh, when that wasn't the case. Early on, say within the first month, she would get aweful, painful gas. She would wail for at least an hour straight almost every night and sometimes during the day. When we took her for her one month well visit, the doctor told us about Mylicon drops. I tell you, they have been our saviour. What it does is break up the big gas bubbles into smaller, easier to expel bubbles. TMI? It's rare now that she cries due to gas build up.

In other news, thanks to some lovely medication, my post partum crap is under much better control. D hasn't had a crying conversation with me in over two weeks and I've been able to handle the stress a lot better. It also has helped that I'm more accepting of help from other people. I went into this whole parenting thing feeling like I should be able to take care of her and everything else (dishes, cleaning, laundry...), but all that on top of not getting much sleep was so extremely draining. Then, D got a contract position back at one of the companies he used to work for so, not only is he gone most of the day during the week, but I've had to completely take over the night shift. I was, I think, literally losing my mind. But, like I said, being on medication and accepting help from D's mom and letting her take Bucket while I catch a nap and get some other things done has been a lifesaver. I'm also able to enjoy her more.

So, all in all a slightly stressful, but great two months so far.

2 comments:

mrs. r said...

glad to hear things are better. Any luck with the Babywise, have you started it yet? Otherwise - get all the cleaning, etc done at night when she's awake? That will let you sleep more during the day when she's sleeping...

Dreamer said...

I finally found the book after it got misplaced when we came back from the hospital after baby was born. I'm starting to implement the things the book says...the hardest part is letting her cry when I put her down for a nap. She did a lot better with the sleeping last night though...I actually got to remember what it was like to close my eyes for more than a 45 minutes at a time. :)