Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Yesterday was a good day

Early yesterday evening D and I were sitting out on the deck and he started singing American Pie by Don McLean. We decided to find it on youtube and sang along with it. He ended up finding another video someone had made with information on the meaning behind the song.

I never really understood who he was talking about, but according to the person that made the video (and Wikipedia), McLean was talking primarily about the plane crash in '59 that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper. When I was growing up, I'd thought that Buddy Holly had taken the Big Bopper's place on the plane, but turned out that it was one of Holly's band members (guitarist I think) that lost the coin toss and had to ride the bus. Guess who....... None other than Waylon Jennings.

Anyway, that was just an interesting tidbit of info. I found out.

D and I ended up listening to music again last night for about 4 hours or so. I'd talked to one of his brothers about a guy named Mark Knopfler. I haven't really thought I'd like him because the brother described him as lighter than the stuff I normally listen to. What I didn't realize was that he composed the entire soundtrack to The Princess Bride. In addition, D played me some Dire Straits (of which he's the lead singer/composer) and I really liked it. Unfortunately that means I've gotta kind of eat my words and tell the brother that I do in a way, sort of like Mark Knopfler.

But regardless of that...I do not want my MTV.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Some of the history surrounding Buddy Holly is very interesting. Many of the lives of the Old Rockers was intertwined. Ck my blog!