Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The garden

Our table garden is doing fairly well. The herbs, not so much except for the basil we planted. We've also used a little bit of the chives, but they still haven't grown as much as we'd like them to. The pepper plants are a fairly good size. We've got about 8-10 anaheim peppers growing, 7 or so cayenne peppers, and a few blooms on the bell peppers, but no actual peppers. The tomatoes have done pretty well. We've pulled 4 ripe ones and 4 green ones (those we used for fried green tomatoes). We've still got a ripe tomato and nerly 12 more at various stages of growth.

So...yeah...fried green tomatoes. We picked up the movie of the same name at a yard sale a couple months ago, but hadn't watched it until the other night. D hadn't ever seen it and I'm glad he liked it. It's a good story for being kind of a chick flick. Anyway, it also started him wanting to try making fried green tomatoes. So he looked up a basic recipe online and we tackled it. They turned out alright. I wasn't that crazy about 'em, but he liked them a lot. I'm sure after we tweak the recipe and add some more spices to the batter, I'll like them better. They just tasted a bit too bland to me.

BABY BABBLE SIDETRACK BELOW
-------------------------------------------------

Things are coming together for the baby shower here. It's still almost a month away, but that'll be gone before we know it. D's mom has gotten a few little decorations, some really cute cute plates and napkins, and a pink tablecloth. We've also figured out the invitations so I've just got to put together mailing labels and she's got to print the invites out. Most of the people we're inviting live within a five minute drive so we'll save a bit on postage just being able to drop them in their mailboxes. I'm a bit anxious about the shower. I'm not one to be center of attention (guess I should've thought about that before I went and got knocked up, huh?) The Little Critter just needs to hurry up and be born so I can stop being the center of attention and she can start.

Anyways, there'll be a few people at the shower that I don't really know, but hopefully it'll be balanced by the people I do. It'll be mostly extended family... D's sister-in-law and her daughter, D's other nieces (if their psycho mother lets them come), a few cousins-in-law, and some wives of D's friends who I've become friends with. All in all, if everyone shows up, there should be 14 people. So, not a huge get together, but not small either.

I just need to relax and not stress about things that need to get done. Don't forget to breathe....in and out.

1 comment:

mrs. r said...

aack! Just looked @ blogger for the first time in about a year to find out you're (hopefully!) a new mommy!? wow, can't wait to get the details, hope you're up to posting again soon! Are you on Facebook? you should friend me if you are...